Over the last two months I’ve had the honor and pleasure to participate in ALRI’s curatorial mentorship program.
Art League Rhode Island (ALRI) has paired a select group of artists with professional curators to teach the fundamental skills necessary to curate galleries and exhibitions. Through this program I’ve met some truly wonderful curators:
- the ALRI exhibition committee: Chris Chabot, Ken Steinkamp, Nancy Gaucher-Thomas, Paulette Miller
- Judith Tolnick Champa, Amy Leidtke, Kristin Street discussed the role of the curator
- Marjorie Hellman visited with us in the VETS gallery and shared her perspective on selection
- Attleboro Arts Museum director Mim Fawcett shared her approach to exhibitions
- RISD Museum’s Richard Brown Baker Curator of Contemporary Art Dominic Molon gave us a glimpse into the thought, planning and work involved in putting together a museum exhibition
- University of Rhode Island’s gallery director Bob Dilworth discussed the juror’s perspective in the context of the current ALRI Beyond Choreography exhibition
I’m looking forward to the final meeting where the mentees will present their own curatorial proposals and collectively create ALRI’s 10-Point Guide to Curating. It’s been a wonderful journey and I’m indebted to ALRI for this opportunity.